Thursday, November 10, 2005

Milk Gravy

I do not use a recipe and measurements when I make this so I had to find a recipe for the milk gravy. I personally like the Creamed Dried Beef or Chipped Beef Gravy over Toast when I was growing up. I got this recipe from Teri's Kitchen.



MILK GRAVY
MAKES 1-1/2 to 2 CUPS

Milk gravy is used in more presentations than you may realize. It is the gravy most often made with Southern Fried Chicken. It is the gravy in Biscuits and Sausage Gravy. It is the gravy in Creamed Dried Beef, known as "SOS" in the military, at least when my father was in the service during WWII. It is also used by itself. My grandparents made milk gravy and just add cubed bread to it. I never cared for it that way, but my mother loves it and sometimes just uses butter in the base. As far as I can determine, the best milk gravies will always be made by starting with a roux of some sort. That differs it from other gravies, which are thickened by a variety of means, usually a slurry of some sort. This recipe is basic. If you are serving it with a fried or sautéed meat, use the same pan and fat from that preparation. It adds much more flavor. This is not for the health conscious, but sure is good now and then.

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons oil, butter or bacon grease
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 to 2 cups milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and heat slightly. (If using a pan in which meat was prepared, remove the meat, drain off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the pan and continue.) Add the flour and whisk vigorously to combine with the oil. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to stir until the flour mixture is well blended, about 5 minutes. For more flavor, continue to cook until the mixture lightly golden, about another 5 minutes. Gradually add the milk, about 1/4 cup at a time, whisking vigorously to combine with the roux before adding more. Reduce heat if it is cooking too fast. Continue to gradually add the milk until the desired thickness, keeping in mind it will thicken more as it sets. Taste for seasoning. If you can't use the gravy immediately, remove from heat. Return to a medium heat and whisk in some more milk when ready to use.

Notes: I know some people, my husband included, who like milk gravy so thick it barely drips off the spoon. Others like it very thin. I prefer something between the two. Other spices may be added. A sprinkle of nutmeg is good with some preparations.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Do You think?

0b9de52241409967944151e2bda0bfbd 424e14018934bd7c0b4b2f3011431f2f