Thursday, November 10, 2005

Creamed Dried Beef or Chipped Beef - American

I always have a jar of dried beef in my pantry/basement food storage for last minute meal or emergency meals. This is another of Teri's Recipe.



CREAMED DRIED BEEF
SERVES 4

This is a recipe my mother used to make for my father. It's very good, although everyone in the family wanted it more often than I did. How much milk you add depends on how salty the dried beef is. I usually use a little more, since I prefer foods less salty. Serve this for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner.

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons canola or other cooking oil
1/2 pound thinly sliced dried beef, cut into 1-inch strips
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 to 5 cups milk
Pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the dried beef and sauté until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; add the flour and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often to combine with the oil. Gradually whisk in the milk; cook until thickened, about another 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with pepper. Serve over toast slices topped with cheese, or with biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Do You think?

0b9de52241409967944151e2bda0bfbd 424e14018934bd7c0b4b2f3011431f2f