Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Coconut Chess Pie

I made two pies on Sunday because for some reason I felt like making pies. This is not a normal because I usually like to make cakes with cookies being the next choice. Looking around I searched for ingredients I needed to use up. I have an excess amount of coconut left over form the holiday season I have stored in the freezer. I did not have an excess of whipping cream to make a Coconut Cream pie so a custard type pie came to my mind. Chess Pies are a southern United States type of custard pie. A more original chess pie version would had likely used cornmeal instead of white four. The old recipe actually does not stipulate the type of flour. I ended up being being glad I prepared this old recipe I have not prepared in a long time. It was delicious.

Coconut Chess Pie



9" pastry shell, unbaked

Filling:

3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1 1/2 tablespoon margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 325F. Combine eggs, sugar, flour and margarine and beat well. Blend in milk and vanilla. Sprinkle coconut over the pie shell and pour mixture over the top. Bake 50 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Do You think?

0b9de52241409967944151e2bda0bfbd 424e14018934bd7c0b4b2f3011431f2f