Sunday, November 25, 2007

Poultry Brine

I have tried cooking turkey a number or and techniques including upside down.I have never been a really big fan of turkey and on of the main reasons why is I have been served it so dry many times. Part of the reason I suspect is the size of the turkey my mother cooked growing up, We are taking huge Volkswagen size 20 pound or so turkey. I have found over the years that a smaller turkey in the range of 13 to 15 pounds presents a better turkey. Part of the reason for this is you do not have to cook it for such a long time. I have also found not putting stuffing also makes a better bird but sometimes I stuff anyway like I did this year.

Flavor brined is the best method I have discovered for cooking turkey. They are a number of recipes on the web and in cookbooks for brining a turkey. They main disadvantage of birning is you have to plan ahead to brine the chicken the day before to get the best flavor. I use a light brine for mine and surprising enough it does not make the Turkey all salty. You have to refrigerate turkey in brine at least 8 hours and up to 18 hours, following desired recipe. I am surprised that more people have not discover the technique. I suggest not using regular table salt since it is ionized.

Ingredients:

1 cup salt (1 1/2 cups kosher or course salt)
1 cup brown sugar
peppercorns
1 onion
1 carrot

Add enough water ( about to cover the bird. Place water & ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil. Remove form heat an allow to cool. Add poultry and cover and brine 1 hour per pound.

Take out of brine and pat dry. Rub with oil and roast as you would normally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Do You think?

0b9de52241409967944151e2bda0bfbd 424e14018934bd7c0b4b2f3011431f2f