Saturday, January 07, 2006

Pannekoeken (Dutch Pancake)














Out of the oven without topping


Topping of Apple PIe filling

Ready to eat with powdered sugar

Every time I visit the Netherlands I always look for a cafe that makes Pannekoeken. The recipes here have you put on fruit on them but in the Netherlands you can get them with all types of toppings, much like a pizza. The last time I was in the Netherlands I stayed outside the city of Leiden. The hotel we stayed at was 1.24 miles from the city center so we drove and parked by the Wind Mill de Valk. This is city Rembrandt is from and is where the pilgrims stayed before coming to the United States so this city has a lot of history and canal cafes. I wish I would had been able to stay longer. I would suggest spending at least a day here. You can get on the train to Amsterdam in 1/2 hour or the Hague in about 15 minutes from this city so it is a good central staying place and more laid back than the cities.




I have my own pannekoeken pan but you can use a large pie pan.

Pannekoeken

2 Tablespoons butter
6 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place butter in oven pancake pan. Heat for 2 minutes or until butter melts. Spread evenly in pan. In large bowl, beat eggs slightly. Stir in flour, sugar and salt. Gradually add milk, beat until until smooth. Pour into pan.

Reduce temperature to 325 degrees F. Bake 40-45 minutes or until it reaches a deep golden brown. Remove from oven and immediately slide pancake onto a serving plate. Fill with fresh fruit and top with confectioners sugar.

Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Do You think?

0b9de52241409967944151e2bda0bfbd 424e14018934bd7c0b4b2f3011431f2f