Sunday, September 05, 2010

Wild Plum Jelly


Wild Plum Jelly
Originally uploaded by Lakenvelder

I started out making a plum jam but after pitting one pound of cherry size fruit I changed to making a jelly. I was so glad I did it was not only a lot faster but I ended up with jelly i would like to give as gifts. This disastrous attempt to making a jam also worried me. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lakenvelder/4961921663/ I also came across this recipe of a BBQ sauce http://www.lizonfood.com/2009/10/wild-plum-barbeque-sauce.html that used with the left over mash. I wish I had found it sooner. You have another step to move the pits but that is after you have cooked the fruit already.I really hated putting all of the mash in the compost bin.

I put around 7 pounds of fruit in a pan and added water. I then gently boiled and mashed the fruit util they were all mushy. I then strained the fruit twice to get juice. Just let the juice drip out. If you try to force more liquid out you will end up with murky jelly.


Recipe 5 1/2 Cups plum juice
Package pectin
7 1/2 cups sugar

Add the juice in a pan and stir in the pectin. Bring to a boil. Stir in the sugar and bring to a boil. boil for 1 minute and then remove from the heat. You will need 8 1/2 pint canning jars. Process in a boiling bath for 10 minutes.



http://www.lizonfood.com/2009/10/wild-plum-barbeque-sauce.html

1 comment:

  1. Well, I only got seven half pints out of this recipe but that is just fine. Now working on my second batch so we'll see how it turns out. The first was setting up as I was wiping the jars and placing the lids and rings on to them. Thank you so much for linking to the Plum BBQ Sauce, it's next on my list and just ran to the store to grab some 1/4 pt. jars and pepper corns. It sounds delicious! I love that I don't have to waste all the pulp and skins plus the fact that I can use up some more peppers from the garden! Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete

What Do You think?

0b9de52241409967944151e2bda0bfbd 424e14018934bd7c0b4b2f3011431f2f